NEWS

1. Welcome to Veloster Forum: Hyundai Veloster / Veloster Turbo Forums General discussion forum for Hyundai Veloster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Roof racks!!!

Roof racks!!!

One of my Xmas presents was the Yakima Q Towers and clips, 58" roundbars, and the Yakima Big Powderhound ski/board rack. My fairing for it came in on Friday while I was already on my roadtrip, so I'll pick that up this week and slap it on. First off, the VT looks AWESOME with a roof rack. Totally a roof rack car.

I was really happy to save my interior from sliding boards in and out, and be able to carry more people and gear in the car. There are some downsides though. I usually average somewhere around 30mpg. With the rack and boards I was around 25mpg. It also whistled like crazy. I used Yakima's reccomended measurments for rack placement. I'm hoping that toying with positioning and adding the fairing I can get rid of the whistling and get a couple MPG's back, because I'd love to just leave the rack on full time. Anyone else running a rack and have any luck with any of these issues?
    2013 Veloster Turbo - Boston Red - Matte Black Vinyl Graphics
    twitter.com/Boots_Ylectric
    Instagram - Boots_Ylectric
    Get high on rocks - adventuresinclimbing.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements

I would think you'd have to take off the snowboard attachment when you are not using it for better fuel efficiency. The wind fairing only covers the roof rack not the attachment. No way around that really.. I'm thinking of purchasing a Thule system. Is there anyway you could take pictures of your setup? I'm interested in seeing how it looks from behind/sides/front. There are no good pictures of a veloster with a roof rack and fairing on the Internet. I think a veloster with a fairing would look really sharp.
    Last edited by Elementguy013; 01-03-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementguy013 View Post
    I would think you'd have to take off the snowboard attachment when you are not using it for better fuel efficiency. The wind fairing only covers the roof rack not the attachment. No way around that really.. I'm thinking of purchasing a Thule system. Is there anyway you could take pictures of your setup? I'm interested in seeing how it looks from behind/sides/front. There are no good pictures of a veloster with a roof rack and fairing on the Internet. I think a veloster with a fairing would look really sharp.
    Yeah, the snowboard racks are actually a bit of a pain to take on and off the racks, and as much as I go I'd like to just leave everything on full time. It's unfortunate just how bad it hurts fuel economy the second you get above about 45 mph. I'm picking up the fairing this weekend. Once I get it I'll snap some pics.

here are some without the fairing though:

Roof racks!!!-photo-1.jpgRoof racks!!!-photo-2.jpgRoof racks!!!-photo-5.jpg

Nice Rack!

What mud guards do you have?

Thanks. I think it'll look really good with the fairing on it.

I got the Rally Armor Universal flaps. Love em.

Looks good and rugged. Does your back outside window fog up in the snow?

~Followed
    Ultimate Elite White VT A/T Window Tint: 35% Front 30% Back Vogue Signature V Tires OEM Mudguards Short Ram Intake Pierce Motorsports VT-ONE Series Chromoly Strutbrace Magnaflow Catback Exhaust Turbosocks FMIC BTRcc Custom Tune

밥솥

Nice, you have the same rack as me. I don't have any noise at all at any speeds, even 100. I placed them in my own spots though. The only time I ever get noise is when I have only the bars on top, the noise than is really loud. I don't have the farring, I keep the full rack and boards on all winter, I still get 32mpg normal to 28mpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    My Veloster<---Click it!

Not a good angle but you get the point

My Veloster<---Click it!

sunfire likes this.
    My Veloster<---Click it!

Quote Originally Posted by nvyseal View Post
    Looks good and rugged. Does your back outside window fog up in the snow?

~Followed
    Yeah, you have to blow the defrosters a bit high to get everything to unfog, but it's not too bad. Rain-X makes anti fog stuff for the inside, that I keep forgetting to pick up and apply. That helps out a ton and then it's really not bad, jut a matter of scraping ice of the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by DeMarioii View Post
    Nice, you have the same rack as me. I don't have any noise at all at any speeds, even 100. I placed them in my own spots though. The only time I ever get noise is when I have only the bars on top, the noise than is really loud. I don't have the farring, I keep the full rack and boards on all winter, I still get 32mpg normal to 28mpg

Really? Do you think you could possibly take a couple measurments? I'm curious where you put yours that you're not whistling. I was going to play around with positioning this weekend before I get the fairing. But I'm curious how far back from the top of the windshield your qtowers are for the front bar. I tired moving mine forward a bit at the gas station last night but actually could not get it to secure nicely once it was up further.

Nice Skate bananas. I was gonna pick one up last year but stuck with Stepchild.

Oh and DeMarioii how does that MPG compare to your MPG without the rack? You're NAV so you're already getting better MPG's than me to start.

Without the rack I don't ever get any less than 32mpg to 35, but I have 40k miles and a lot of mods
    Thanks, I either ride libtech or Rome. But stepchild is amazing though.
    Actually going to Vermont for a week leaving this Sunday ill take the measurements. I believe I have mine like 7 inches back from the front and than 12 or 13inchs I have the bar back from the from one

My Veloster<---Click it!

I also have the risers on the one side, so you can have 4 boards well 2 are bindings down towards the roof of the car. My time bindings have a small profile so folded they fit without the riser, but my friends freestyles won't fit unless I have that up. So I guess that could contribute to less wind noise

My Veloster<---Click it!

Without the rack I don't ever get any less than 32mpg to 35, but I have 40k miles and a lot of mods
    Thanks, I either ride libtech or Rome. But stepchild is amazing though.
    Actually going to Vermont for a week leaving this Sunday ill take the measurements. I believe I have mine like 7 inches back from the front and than 12 or 13inchs I have the bar back from the from one

Wow, I can't believe your MPG's stay that consistent with a rack on. I'll definitely have to do some playing around to see if I can get mine to get back up a lil more. If I lose a MPG or two that's fine, but losing 5+ is a bit much. If you're around 7" in the front you're definitely further back than mine so I'll have to give that a shot and see.

I'm not a big fan of Rome just on some quality issues I've seen, but love Libtech. And I really like Stepchild just because I'm a big fan of anything rider driven and grass roots like they are. I have a Latchkey Maiden with Contact Pro PBR bindings that's easily the most fun ride I've ever had, and have had quite a few boards. Also have an Everything Sucks board as my all mountain steed, and it's a killer all around board. I really want to get the Jones Mountain Twin now too.

I also have the risers on the one side, so you can have 4 boards well 2 are bindings down towards the roof of the car. My time bindings have a small profile so folded they fit without the riser, but my friends freestyles won't fit unless I have that up. So I guess that could contribute to less wind noise

Yeah, I didn't need a riser for any of our boards this weekend, and actually I figured it would make things even worse, but maybe not.

Hmm that's interesting, I've never had a quality issue with time, I've been boarding for 5 years now, and I get a whole new setup about every 6 months, I've pretty much had everything, and I swear by my Rome Targas,390s, or my personal fav my Ride contrabands binding wise. I don't care much for Rome boards myself but the artifact I got this year.
    Yeah you'll have to play with the rack. I have an intake, and exhaust. Plus the tires, driving style and engine wear in are all factors, but you shouldn't see more than 5 less with the rack. I'm actually surprised it doesn't make wind noise with 4 boards at any speed. It's weird.

My Veloster<---Click it!

Them*

My Veloster<---Click it!

Hmm that's interesting, I've never had a quality issue with time, I've been boarding for 5 years now, and I get a whole new setup about every 6 months, I've pretty much had everything, and I swear by my Rome Targas,390s, or my personal fav my Ride contrabands binding wise. I don't care much for Rome boards myself but the artifact I got this year.
    Yeah you'll have to play with the rack. I have an intake, and exhaust. Plus the tires, driving style and engine wear in are all factors, but you shouldn't see more than 5 less with the rack. I'm actually surprised it doesn't make wind noise with 4 boards at any speed. It's weird.

Yeah I saw two pairs of Rome bindings go from brand new to busted in less than a year with two of my friends who don't ride hard and take good care of their stuff. Ride makes awesome bindings, I've been wanting to try out the contrabands actually, but my only board that needs bindings right now is a mountain board, not park. I'm pretty much sold on Union though as the best bindings hands down. Awesome quality and just great bindings all around. I love riding em.

Even with the intake and exhaust you should still see some kind of drop with a roof rack on, so I'm really surprised you don't. I'll really have to play around with positioning. I know it didn't help that I was doing 70+ mph most of the time either, so that's a factor. But when the speedlimit is 65 and you're driving for 4 hours you gotta speed it up a lil. The second I was over 55 my fuel economy just dropped and stayed there.

Cant go wrong with Rome X Yakima

Quote Originally Posted by ARKPERFORMANCE View Post
    Cant go wrong with Rome X Yakima
    Love what you guys did on this one. Just needs the widebody kit you threw on the Black and green NA veloster. It looks like your front bar is pretty far forward compared to Yakima's reccomended specs. any Issue mounting like that?

Roof racks!!!-imageuploadedbyautoguide1357358226.574938.jpgRoof racks!!!-imageuploadedbyautoguide1357358238.070146.jpg
    Yeah I looked at my setup, I have the first bar 14 inches back from the center of the windscreen or 8 inches from the side where the supports meet. From that I have the other bar 13 inches back right in front of the fin. I also have the risers on, in the direct center of the rack, so when you're putting boards on top it's not a stretch from the passenger side. With it like this I've not had any wind noise.

My Veloster<---Click it!

22. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Veloster
    Advertisements